Preparation Time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
1 1/2 cup butter
3 onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoon white sugar
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup red wine
4 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
1 French baguette
8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat until golden brown or carmelized.
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices. Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover soup, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) just until browned, about 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.
- Ladle soup into four 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. Place 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. Fold Swiss cheese slices, and fit onto toasted bread slices. Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or just until cheese is melted